Monday, September 9, 2013

Brave New Fonts

I've been reading so much about the history of writing, printing, and design that I just need to get away from all of that for a wee bit and look at some cool, new, fresh, and interesting fonts for a while. Come with me for a short time and enjoy a few of these "out of the box" typefaces.


You might think that a really new and cool looking font would at least get some sort of label or name to it, right? Unfortunately that's wrong. I found this at typepad.com, but was unable to find the name of the font, or the designer's name. I'm afraid that today's designers sometimes get little press and notoriety. My hat's off to the anonymous designer who made this awesome letter set. Due to the colors in the set, I would probably only use something like this as a headliner.


The Bifur font, designed by Adolphe Mouron Cassandre, a Ukrainian-French painter. This is another excellent new design that could give any project an Art Deco feel and would be perfect as a headliner, or display type font, like the typeface above this one.


What's going on with this font? Is it 2D or 3D? Cubic, by Svetoslav Simov is available on myfonts.com in a set of three different weights, thin (pictured here), light, and normal. The set costs $70. Don't you want to design and sell a font set now?


This font is very entertaining to look at and I find myself trying to name the different systems that these joysticks came from. Console font by Varun Vachhar. As I list the last designer in this blog post, I keep asking myself, "Why are all these cool fonts designed by foreigners?" It is a rhetorical question, of course, and I vow that this American boy will create a cool font himself one day. Why not? It's something to do.

2 comments:

  1. Could I please use the 3-D font for a huge school project if I put this website in my bibliography?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or another font like the first one please?

    ReplyDelete