Monday, September 30, 2013

Art Nouveau Adam Hughes


This man here is probably my favorite artist of all time. His name is Adam Hughes and he draws mostly for the comic book medium. Mr. Hughes is most noted for his drawings of women and his ability to make his images photo-realistic. Adam is also a licensed illustrator for Lucas Arts and that's why he's able to draw characters from the Star Wars and Indiana Jones universe and not get slapped with a lawsuit. 

During my studies for my graphic design history class I ran across work from a French artist named Alphonse Mucha. I was really surprised at how similar Hughes' work was to Muchas'. So now I'm a big fan of Alphonse Mucha as well as Adam Hughes, and I'm sure Hughes is also a big fan of Mucha. I hope Hughes had to study Mucha when he was in college, much like I have to study his work now.



This is a piece from Alphonse Mucha. His illustration skill is apparent, he's a master. 


















The image to the right is also work from Mucha. The borders he puts around his subjects are very detailed, and the flowing lines in the entire piece is French art nouveau at its finest.



Hughes uses a lot of the techniques that were first created during the art nouveau movement (c. 1890 - 1910), and he refines them to the pinnacle of the style. The surrounding images show an homage to Mucha, and a technique first pioneered by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.






I wonder now, if I hadn't known of Adam Hughes, would I have not noticed the work of Alphonse Mucha? Also, vice versa, would I have appreciated Mucha's work if I hadn't already respected and admired Adam Hughes' art? Either way, I'm glad I have discovered both in my lifetime and hope to use their work as inspiration for my own illustration.






Some more of Adam Hughes stuff. I could post pictures of his work all day, but instead, I will give you a link to his website. I hope that one day I will be able to afford a commission by Hughes.











Finally, I leave you with Mucha's poster for Job cigarette papers, 1898. Simply amazing.




FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment