Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sign Painters

My graphic design history instructor suggested we watch a film that was recently playing at the art theater in town here. The movie was 'Sign Painters', and after watching the trailer for it on YouTube, I wish I had seen it. 


How can you not want to make some sort of sign after watching that? If I had some wood and the paint I would like to make a little sign that I could hang on the outside of my door. 


The trailer mentioned how the advent of vinyl graphics and letters made sign painting a lost art form and then showed a few decrepit signs on random buildings. I can't recall the last time I've seen a sign in bad condition, but I can say I would like to see more hand painted signs wherever I go. The recent trip to The Living Letter Press in Champaign made me appreciate an older way of printing, and the trailer for Sign Painters makes me feel the same for signage. 


This sign really sticks out, with the contrasting colors between black, red, and blue. 



I wanted to show a few of the signs my friend has made for this little eatery he worked for, but it took too long to search for them on his facebook, so here's a sign with a dog on it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool post, Mike! Yeah, the movie was inspiring for sure. One thing someone in the movie mentioned was that everyone at some point in their lives has created a sign, whether it was a sign for selling lemonade at a stand or whatever. I remember painting a sign for my garden plot when I was a kid and was a member of the Eddie Albert Farm Program. :) It was fun to create.

    I agree with you that hand-painted signs are refreshing and I would enjoy seeing more of them everywhere. The examples you found are great!

    I thought the field trip to Living Letterpress was interesting and inspiring as well.

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Did you see the article in the Parkland paper for Signpainters? It looked like there was a panel with some of the artists present after the movie premier.

      Delete