Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Digital Art Period

The Digital Art period, we're in it. Starting with the Renaissance, my graphic design history class has been taking a look at all the movements in art, including typography, and we are coming to the end of the line, the Digital Art era. I actually have to write a presentation on the digital style of designers today, so this blog is sort of a warm up for that.





I really just want to showcase some pieces for this blog that are examples of some of the best digital art I could find on a website that I frequent, and hope to upload some of my work to one day, CG Hub. Ever since I decided I wanted to follow a career in art, I knew that I would have move away from the pencil and paper that I have always used in the past, and move on to a graphics tablet with my lines now being produced in a program, like Adobe Photoshop. These artists show exactly what can be done on a computer nowadays.





Sure, it may look like some of the art I'm show you is painted, but I assure you, it was all done on a computer, and that's beauty of it all. What can be created on a computer today is vastly superior to what could be done on a canvas, and without the mess.



If anyone would want to have the talent to create work such as the pieces in this blog, I advise you chain yourself to your desk and use Photoshop for the next several years.







Almost everything I've shown in this blog has been two dimensional work, but there is another thing artists today can do on a computer that could be considered art, and that's 3D animation. I have included one piece in this blog that has been done in 3D. It's Poison Ivy from Batman and you don't typically see 3D models that look so good, unless you're into this sort of thing.


This semester I have come to really appreciate 3D art so much that I have been seriously considering changing my major to the Digital Media program. When I look at work like this, on the left, it inspires me to learn to make something similar. 



I leave you with some art from the Killzone franchise, a video game that I wish I used to play a while ago. I'm going to refrain from going into how video games can be construed as art nowadays and will save that for a later blog this semester.


FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment